5 Important Signs You Need Relationship Counselling
Marriage isn’t a bed of roses, but it could be a fulfilling experience when you and your partner have the right approach to challenges. A beautiful union could very well spiral out of control if issues are swept under the carpet unresolved.
Is it time to throw in the towel? It’s rather time to get your hands dirty and put in some work. A healthy relationship in marriage demands the joint effort and commitment of both partners. So, it’s better to go the extra mile to resolve any nagging issue.
There are several signs that shouldn’t be taken for granted, which is a cue that couples counselling is necessary. It could be frightening to realize that you need help via marriage counselling, but it may lead to a lasting solution.
Each partner in a marriage comes along with different values, beliefs, aspirations, family orientation, and personality quirks to the relationship. Hence, a merging of these two distinct personalities could be fireworks or things may likely go south in the absence of intervention.
There isn’t the best time to seek help but more often than not, marriage counselling for couples comes into play when the relationship is on the brink of collapse.
But there’s good news! There are signals to watch out for which can prevent your relationship from hitting the rocks.
Five indicative signs for relationship counselling
- Recurrent issue: You need a private counselling session when you’re always confronted with a particular challenge that keeps lingering overtime and threatens the health of your relationship. For instance, drug addiction, gambling, alcoholism. You stand the chance to build a stronger and more intimate relationship when an issue is addressed from a neutral perspective.
- Poor communication: When you have a breakdown in communication with your partner, it’s advisable to seek marriage counselling. Sometimes, depression may set in because of the harsh realities of life and it could be impossible to discuss with your partner. Indulging in silent treatment or yelling at each other over the slightest issue worsens the problem.
- Sexual intimacy: Some couples have lost the sexual chemistry and they don’t feel sparks in the bedroom anymore. Do you live with your partner as roommates? It’s wrong to regard such circumstances as normal which is living in denial of the truth.
- Broken trust: Do you feel your partner isn’t reliable and trustworthy? If you suspect your partner is lying and or sneaky, then it’s possibly because of infidelity. Cheating comes in different forms and expressions.
- Life change: The experience of a major life change can alter the course of events in any marriage. You should seek relationship counselling to address any unresolved adjustments after the birth of a child, death of a loved one, retirement, a new job, or changing homes.
Relationship counselling strengthens the bond between partners and increases peaceful coexistence. It also enhances the communication lines between you and your partner, so you feel heard and understood. If you are looking for relationship counselling online, here at Mental Wellness Counselling, we have been providing private counselling in Peterborough for many years and has helped many homes from crashing; we believe having counselling can benefit you to develop the strength to manage your mental health problems, and to gain courage to overcome your relationship issues, and recover your confidence for a better life.
We hope you enjoy reading the post, if you have any questions or want to find out more about private counselling, please get in touch, we are always happy to help.